Monday, July 29, 2013

TIE Interceptor: First Impressions


TIE Interceptor
 

 

 

So I got three games in with my TIE Interceptors this weekend and without turning this into a Battle Report, I’m just going to quickly highlight some of the pros and cons of this ship. To start off I was unable able to use every version so my findings will be based off of my experience with Thurr Phennir, Soontir Fel and a Sabre Squadron Pilot.

 

Pros

1.       Maneuverability

2.       Firepower

3.       Actions

4.       Agility



 

 

1.       Maneuverability

This basic function is an extremely important aspect of the X-Wing Miniatures Game. The unique dial system of movement lends to the playability and unknown factor. The TIE Interceptor as with the basic TIE Fighter is very maneuverable and I enjoyed the speed and tight turns that were very useful for outmaneuvering the enemy and getting behind them. The TIE Interceptor did not let down in this category and its maneuver options are one of the attractive features of this ship.

2.       Firepower

The big difference between the TIE Interceptor and other TIE variants is the firepower. The TIE Interceptor has three attack dice and rivals the X-Wing in firepower. The higher attack value was the most notable difference that I recognized which most players would easily see on the card. When I was playing I noticed that being able to maneuver and bear down with the increased firepower was very beneficial and it is the deciding factor for me when I consider the TIE Interceptor in my list.
 

3.       Actions

The TIE Interceptor has four actions in its action bar. The actions are: barrel roll, focus, evade and the new boost action. I won’t dissect each action but I will say that the ability to pick between four actions was very helpful and the boost actions quickly developed into me getting into range one to utilize the higher attack and get off four shots. This was extremely effective when it was combined with Thurr Phennir who can then barrel roll or boost out of a firing arc. The actions helped out immensely and they combined with the firepower and maneuver to make a very deadly ship.

4.       Agility

 

Having three agility was a great defense to the enemy firepower and it repeatedly proved useful and blocked the enemy attacks. The high agility was  great and it really helped this ship survive throughout the fights.

 

Cons

1.       Shields (lack of)

2.       Options for attachments

3.       Points

 

1.       Shields

 

As with most other TIE ships excluding the TIE Advanced version the Interceptor has no shields and relies on its agility to spare it damage. The lack of shields was not as noticeable since the agility value was three. I knew coming into the game that there were no shields and this was not the big negative factor that I worried about.
 

 

2.       Options for attachments

 

The TIE Interceptor has very few options and some of the cheaper versions have no options at all. This does limit the amount of customization but with the new upgrade cards like stealth device, engine upgrades and shield upgrades you don’t need as many upgrade icons on your ships. The options are limited though so prepare for some pretty standard combinations.


 

3.       Points

 

The point cost is higher than the TIE fighter which is expected but the named characters start getting into the high 20 point range and with some upgrades they can even exceed 30 points for a ship that has three hull with no shields. The points are one of my cons that I am not too worried about because the damage output that the Interceptor provided was well worth the points.
 
 

 

Nuts and Bolts
 

 
So from my opinion, I absolutely love the TIE Interceptor and Thurr Phennir with Veteran Instincts was just awesome. He would move, then boost to range one, shoot then barrel roll or boost out of a firing arc. This tactic proved very effective and he claimed many rebel pilots. The damage output combined with the maneuverability of the TIE chassis made a very capable ship that offset the points and usual glass hammer moniker that is attributed to the TIE series of fighters. My next problem is convincing the guys form Blackheart to keep letting me play as the Imperials, somehow I am the default Rebel Player. So those are some basic takeaways that I had with my Interceptors, hope everyone enjoys.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment